Monday, May 18, 2009

Friskies Feline Favorites Cat Food Versus Innova Senior Dry Cat Food

Like most pet owners, with the recent rash of pet food recalls I became concerned about the food I was giving to my cat. Because, I wanted to make sure Fluffy was getting a healthy diet, I began to research brands of organic dog food and compared them to the Friskies Feline Favorites I was feeding her.

Based on the advice of my veterinarian, I learned in comparing cat foods, one of the first things you should look at is the first three ingredients listed on the package. In an ideal food, at least two of these ingredients should come from a meat source. Cats are by nature carnivores and need protein before they need carbohydrates. Well, the first three ingredients in Friskies Feline Favorites were: ground yellow corn, Brewer's rice and chicken by-product meal. Hmmmm .... Not good. In comparison, the first three ingredients in Innova Senior Dry Cat Food: turkey, chicken and chicken meal. My vet agreed these ingredients were much closer to the type of food my cat would find in a 'raw' or 100% natural diet. In fact, further research showed me Innova Senior Dry Cat Food was almost 38% protein! Since my cat does not have a medical intolerance to protein, the vet said this would be very beneficial to her muscular and immune systems.

Next, I compared artificial colors and dyes. According to my vet, both of these can trigger allergic reactions in sensitive animals. My cat has a very sensitive stomach and as I read the long list of artificial colors, dyes and flavors on the bag of Friskies Feline Favorites, I began to wonder if they may be the reason for Fluffy's frequent bouts of vomiting. Innova Senior Dry Cat Food listed only natural flavors and no artificial dyes and/or colors. Innova Senior Dry Cat Food also had no artificial preservatives, while the list of preservatives I read on the in Friskies Feline Favorites bag seemed to be a mile long.

Innova Senior Dry Cat Food had a magnesium level of 0.11%, which made my vet happy. Magnesium is a concern when considering the urinary tract health of your feline. Friskies Feline Favorites is available in a low magnesium brand, but my cat would not eat it. I also found it interesting that Friskies Feline Favorites contained salt but Innova Senior Dry Cat Food did not. My vet was not clear if salt could have caused any medical problems in my cat, but he did say it was better for her not to have it as she was an older cat.

After gradually introducing into Innova Senior Dry Cat Food my cat's diet, I have had her solely eating it for about three weeks. At first I did not notice much of a change, but recently, my 10 year old feline friend has shown more energy and playfulness. She has had fewer stomach problems and my vet commented that her coat and skin have been looking much better! While Fluffy is still a bit pudgy she has lost a few pounds. Her blood levels have also improved and her heart rate sounds better.

As far as customer service, I cannot say enough great things about Innova. They have a great selection of products including both wet and dry foods for cats and kittens. You can visit their website to learn which retail outlets carries their products.

So, overall, I am very pleased I switched from Friskies Feline Favorites to Innova Senior Dry Cat Food. While it may cost a little more in the short term, I am happy knowing my cat is receiving a healthy diet. It is a great feeling seeing looking better and acting younger. If you have an interest in trying Innova Senior Dry Cat Food with your cat, I would suggest visiting their website. After reading their information, I would print it out and take it in to your veterinarian for their opinion as well.

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/241062/friskies_feline_favorites_cat_food.html

No comments:

Post a Comment