Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Special Kitty Premium Gourmet Cat Food

We all try to cut corners as much as possible these days. Money seems to be tight for everyone. So, I tried cutting corners on my cat food. We have seven cats and they plow through the food like there is no tomorrow. I wanted to share what I discovered about Special Kitty Gourmet Cat Food.

For starters, I bought it in an 18 pound bag for about $7 at my local Wal-Mart. When I pulled it up on their website to get more information, it says that price varies from store to store. So, I guess it depends on location as to how much the store will charge for this product.

They offer several different flavors of Special Kitty food, the one I recently purchased was the Gourmet. They also offer kitten food and senior food. The company claims that the food offers the cat all of the nutrition it needs for whatever stage of life it is at. It also comes with a 100% money back guarantee if you are not happy with it.

I thought that the food for my cats would be just fine, but I started to notice little changes. My cats coats started to become more dry and brittle while shedding increased. To me, that's not a very good sign. It concerned me because our cats range in age from three months to 15 years. The change occurred in all of them, not just a certain age.

The worst change for me was in their waste. It began to stink up the whole house. I have two litter pans and I scoop them everyday. But the smell was just unbearable. It didn't matter if I had candles lit or not, I could tell the minute one of them went to the bathroom - it stank up the entire house. My litter pans are kept in an extra bedroom, so they are not out in the main living part of the house. This disturbed me that the odor was so strong. Then came the gas. A house with seven cats with gas is not a pleasant place to be. Now, several of the cats come and go as they please and are not always inside, but they all end up using the litter pan at one point during the day.

I'm not sure why the Special Kitty Cat Food affected them in this way, but it did. I looked at the ingredients to see what was in it. There are about 36 different ingredients, which includes food coloring. I won't list them all, but to give you an idea of some of them: corn meal, chicken by product meal, ground wheat, phosphoric acid, animal digest, and folic acid. Reading the ingredients, I thought that maybe it was all okay, but when I get to some that I am not sure what they mean by it, like the animal digest, it concerns me. I've never looked at the ingredients on other cat food, but I will from now on.

I'm sure that Special Kitty is a good product for some cats, and I suggest you try it for yourself before you make a final decision on it. But for mine, it just doesn't seem to be enough. If it's all you can afford to get, then I would suggest you use it. But if you can go up a step, I would. I might be able to put up with the bad coats and shedding, even though that's a sign that they aren't getting something they need. But I can't put up with the gas and stinky waste. So I really don't recommend this product for your cats.

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2125755/special_kitty_premium_gourmet_cat_food.html

No comments:

Post a Comment