Saturday, June 6, 2009

Review: Purina Healthful Life Cat Food

My cat has a normal brand of dry cat food he absolutely loves. But, he was running low on that the other day and I had a sample bag of Purina Healthful Life cat food in our cupboard so I decided to give that particular brand a try with him.

Overall, it turned out not to be too bad of a product but I think I do still prefer his normal brand.

The Healthful Life brand, which is a variation of Purina Cat Chow, claims to offer the same great taste cats love but includes "a natural fiber blend" which apparently is meant to keep my cat's digestive tract healthy.

That is all well and good, but my biggest reason for trying this brand was to see if he would actually eat it. He's very picky and his regular brand of dry food is the first brand we were able to get him to eat on a regular basis so I was a bit skeptical, even though we did introduce him to this gradually.

After trying him with it a couple of weeks now, I will say he does eat it. So, I will give Purina points for that. The fact he's eating it means it must taste good; at least to him.

In terms of improving his health, I'm not convinced one way or another on that one. He's not a very active cat. He sleeps pretty much all day, except at meal times and when he wants to play for a few minutes before bed. I won't say the Healthful Life didn't improve his overall health. But, I will say I didn't notice any real changes in terms of his normal daily habits. In other words, it's not like he suddenly gained more energy or anything.

Really the biggest change I noticed after giving him this food for a few days is one that I'll admit isn't a change I liked. I'm trying to put this the most delicate and least gross way possible. But, after having this cat food for a few days I have noticed his litter boxes tend to stink a lot more. And, without going into any descriptive details, I will mention I have to scoop a lot more than I used to too. This might be a good thing because it means it's cleaning him out. But, as a person who really hates cleaning the litter box, I can't honestly say I'm a big fan of that reaction.

It's nice to know there's another brand of cat food my cat will eat in a pinch, especially if I find the Healthful Life on sale. But, I think I'm going to be going back to his regular brand the next time I get to the store.

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1283924/review_purina_healthful_life_cat_food.html

No comments:

Post a Comment