Sunday, June 21, 2009

What is the Best Canned Cat Food?

What is the best canned cat food?

I can answer that question in five words --- there is no such thing.

I have four cats. Three of them (Charlie, Charlotte and Mickey) will guzzle up anything I put in front of them, but Chanel --- Chanel is an entirely different matter.

When I first adopted her, I tried just about anything. From canned food that the veterinarian recommended to store brand. Chanel looked at it, sniffed it, and walked away.

I traveled to pet stores, known to keep a large variety of pet food and bought a can of this and a can of that. I got no joy.

I spoke to other cat owners and asked what their cat liked.

What others raved about, Chanel disapproved of.

I even bought her Merrick, supposedly top of the line cat food.

Charlie, Charlotte and Mickey loved it. They loved it so much, they all but ate the plate Merrick was served on, but Chanel was not impressed.

While the others looked at me for more, Chanel ate some dry nibbles.

"It's good," I told her. "It's from a family owned business. Look how delicious it is."

Chanel gazed at me with a face that seemed to say "Fine, then you eat it."

It got me so desperate that I briefly considered giving Chanel what we were eating, but when I did some research, home cooked food for cats turned out to be a bad idea. Apparently human food is not rich enough on vitamins and minerals and cats can go blind if not fed proper cat food.

Not to mention that feeding scraps off the table holds a serious risk. A piece of meat can easily get lodged in the cat's throat and she can choke.

And then the poisoned pet food scare hit and all that was left in the stores was Whiskas and Fancy Feast from Purina.

I asked the sales person if the food was safe. She assured me that it was.

Back home I went on the websites of both Whiskas and Purina to make very sure that their food was safe during these scary times. A message on their front page assured pet owners that it was.

And guess what --- my lot loved the food. They loved the beef, they loved the chicken, the fish, they loved everything.

We were not quite out of the woods yet though. After a while I noticed that Charlie, Charlotte, Mickey and Chanel ate with less enthusiasm than when I first started buying the brands.

The problem is rather simple --- they were sick of beef, chicken and whitefish.

So I started mixing their diet. They not only got beef, chicken and whitefish, I introduced salmon, tuna, shrimp and liver to their daily dinner. I even noticed cans that have liver mixed with beef and chicken mixed with turkey.

Now Charlie, Charlotte, Mickey and Chanel get something different every day. I stock the cans in the refrigerator in such a way that, if I am not around to make their food, my son knows exactly what to give them.

In many ways pets are like humans. There are food items that we like and there are items that we dislike. And even if we like something, that does not mean we want this or that all the time. Keep in mind that variety is the spice of life.

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/897129/what_is_the_best_canned_cat_food.html

No comments:

Post a Comment