Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Meow Mix Vs Alley Cat Feline Food

I would feed my cats a raw diet, but they won't eat anything but dry cat food. It's what they've been conditioned to eat since they were born, and it seems a bit too late to change it. My male cat is overweight, so for the longest time, I was feeding him weight control pet food. It didn't help. I then decided to try some cheaper brands, just to see if I noticed any changes--if I could get away with it. For the longest time I used Meow Mix, but then I discovered Alley Cat. In weeks I saw an improvement in my cats' health.

Meow Mix has a great jingle that everyone loves. Right now the song is playing in your head, isn't it? You're singing along. "Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow..." Alley Cat doesn't have a catchy jingle. In fact, I rarely see any commercials for it. Maybe one of the reasons why they are able to sell their food for such a low price is that they don't spend money on advertising. They should. Everyone should know about Alley Cat. It is a great, affordable alternative to Meow Mix and has helped my cats with their unique health problems.

Meow Mix has several types of dry cat food. I have tried all of them except the kitten version. My cats have always had issues with hairballs, which leaves unsightly vomit stains on my once-beautiful carpet. The first type I tried was the Indoor Formula, which they ate for many months. The hairballs became more of a problem, so I tried Hairball Control. My cats ate this formula for a few months, but it only seemed to worsen the problem. I therefore just began buying whichever formula was cheapest, deciding they may as well have some variety in their diet.

One day at the commissary, I noticed that while Meow Mix was about $3.50, the Alley Cat was only $1.69 or so. I decided to give it a try. I figured it couldn't hurt. I was right. Not only did I save money, but my cats stopped coughing up hairballs. Every now and then, one of them will have a small one, but that happens very rarely. Not only that, my fat male cat appears to have lost weight on this new Alley Cat diet. Who would have thought that the cheapest brand would be the best brand for my cats' health?

I can't compare the tastes of the two, because I don't eat them. My cats love both Meow Mix and Alley Cat. The flavors of Meow Mix vary from formula to formula. Their Original Choice, Indoor Formula, and Hairball Control types contain chicken, turkey, salmon, and oceanfish. The Seafood Medley is a blend of tuna, shrimp, crab, and trout--which sounds appealing to me, being that I love the fruits of the sea. Alley Cat flavors include chicken and tuna and oceanfish and tuna, so there's not as much a variety as with the Meow Mix brand. I think they may favor the Meow Mix over the Alley Cat just a tad.

Their Indoor Formula is supposed to better meet the nutritional needs and wants of house cats. I think my fat cat actually gained a little weight on this, though he may have just been eating more because it tasted better. The Hairball Control food is supposed to help move hair though a cat's digestive tract. It didn't make a difference for my cats. In fact, it seemed to aggravate the problem. Alley Cat is not specially formulated for indoor cats or those with hairball problems, and yet I saw an improvement in those areas once my cats had been eating it a few weeks.

Ironically enough, Alley Cat is marketed by the same company. It doesn't blend as many flavors or have as many types of formula as Meow Mix. They also do not spend as much on advertising. This is probably why it is so much cheaper than Meow Mix. It is weird that there is such a difference between these two products, which are made by the same company. My cats have thrived on Alley Cat, while they merely survived on Meow Mix. Their ingredients may be only slightly different, but it has made a huge difference for my cats. Weeks of Alley Cat did what months of Meow Mix had failed to do.

If your main concern is flavor, you may want to go with Meow Mix. It may taste better, being that there's more of a variety of ingredients. It will meet your cat's needs. If, however, you have a cat who needs to watch his weight or who throws up hairballs, I really recommend Alley Cat. My cats seem to enjoy it just as much, and I have noticed a difference in their health. Best of all, I'm saving a lot of money, because Alley Cat is half the cost of Meow Mix. I don't know why Alley Cat helps with my cat's health issues, but for some reason, it does. We're all benefiting from it.

Meow Mix also makes wet pouches and cups and feline treats. Alley Cat does not. I would recommend these products. I have only tried the wet brands a few times, and the feline members of my family aren't really into them. However, cats that I have owned in the past have loved the wet pouches. All cats I've ever owned enjoy the treats they make. These treats and wet foods have even more flavors, so if you want variety for your cat, check these out. I have not evaluated their effects on weight or hairball control, though. Meow Mix is definitely a flavorful choice for your feline friend.

A raw diet is probably best, but if your cat can't or won't eat meat, then I would recommend either of these products. While Alley Cat better meets the needs of my cats--and my pocketbook--Meow Mix is a wonderful choice as well. Meow Mix cat food has a wide variety of flavors and types, so there is something for every cat to meet her individual needs. I chose Alley Cat to control big fat Neelix's weight and keep his and dainty princess Odette's hairballs in check. But, I do think they enjoy the flavor of Meow Mix. And every now and then, I treat them to it. If you're looking for flavor, Meow Mix is the brand for you. But if your cats have the issues that mine have, give Alley Cat a chance.

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/237912/meow_mix_vs_alley_cat_feline_food.html

No comments:

Post a Comment