Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cat Food: Friskies VS. Iams

My girls are the proud owners of an orange cat named Pebbles. Pebbles is a healthy cat in general, but has acid reflux disease for cats. We tested many brands to find the right one for her. This article will review 2 of the brands and tell you which was perfect for our cat.

Price: We know cat food comes in dry and canned. This article will only be reviewing the dry food since it is what we buy the most often. First, I should tell you that they don't sell dry food in the same sizes. Friskies has 50.40-oz dry bags and 3.15-lb bags for $4.49 on sale for $3.15. Iams has 64-oz bag of dry food for $8.59 on sale for $7.49. The only way I can show you that Friskies is cheaper is to tell you that Friskies sells a 288-oz bag for $11.49 on sale for $8.99. The sale price is almost the same as Iams 64-oz regular price of $859. The thing is you get 224 oz more. That is a big difference.

Variety: Friskies has 4 major categories of dry food with numerous flavors within each group. The first group is called Friskies Seafood Sensations. It includes an ocean of flavors including ocean fish, albacore tuna, salmon, yellow fin tuna and crab, plus a touch of seaweed. The second group is called Friskies Indoor Delights. This helps control hairballs and maintain a healthy weight with delicious chicken, beef, turkey, cheese flavors and a touch garden greens. The third group is called Friskies Signature Blend. This blend is for cats that want it all, seven tantalizing flavors: chicken, beef, tuna, turkey, salmon, cheese and egg. The fourth and final group is called Friskies Feline Favorite. Variety-loving cats will love the chicken, seafood and liver flavors with Real Carnation Milk. Iams offers 9 different kinds of dry cat food for adult cats. They include the following: Weight Control, Original with Chicken, Original with Ocean Fish and Rice, Indoor Weight & Hairball Care, Original with Lamb & Rice, Hairball Care, Multi-Cat with Chicken, Multi-Cat with Chicken & Salmon, Original with Tuna.

Taste Test: Really what good is a variety of cat food flavors and a good sale price if your cat doesn't like the taste of the food. That is where my cat comes in. Pebbles got to do the taste testing (I know I wasn't going to do it). To be fair we gave Pebbles the Ocean flavors of each brand. Friskies Ocean flavor was an instant hit. My cat gobbled it up in one day. I gave my cat the same amount of Iams Ocean flavor. She took two days to eat it. That is twice as long as the Friskies. My cat is a picky eater and I am guessing it is because Iams used rice in their Ocean flavor.

Websites: I must admit that I am impressed with Iams website more than I am with Friskies. Both did include nutritional information, but I found Friskies harder to navigate. I kept getting sent back to this one page that didn't tell me anything except that their products weren't affected by the recall. I would have to do another search to get back to more information. Iams had articles I could read about cats as well as a newsletter, pet poll, and fit tips. The site was easy to use and navigate.

Despite Friskies annoying website, I have to go with them. My cat loved their food and it it cost me a whole lot less. I will, however, visit Iams website more often to learn more about how to better car for my cat.

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/241399/cat_food_friskies_vs_iams.html

No comments:

Post a Comment