Thursday, February 26, 2009

Review: Friskies Select Indoor Premium Cat Food

As a pet owner, I understand my cat is part of the family. And, I'm always trying to find him the best nutritional products available at my local stores.

Recently, we had a coupon for Friskies Select Indoor Premium canned cat food. Since he is primarily an indoor cat, the food was specifically formulated for his needs and he's always like the Friskies brand, we decided we would give it a try.

What a big waste of money that was.

Like many cats, our cat is somewhat picky when it comes to eating. But, we recently bought a bag of dry cat food (from a different brand) that was meant for indoor cats and he devoured it. Plus, like I said before, he eats Friskies canned food all the time. So, buying this variety of the same brand shouldn't have been much different. Unfortunately, it was.

I have, on occasion, switched brands of canned food on my cat; simply in an effort to save money. While he's always preferred his regular brand, he would eventually eat the different brand. He might have waited until he was starving before he tried it; but he still ate it.

That is not the case with the Friskies Select Indoor cat food. There is something about this brand he absolutely hates. When we bought this, we made the mistake of not buying at least a can or two of his regular food. I ended up having to run back to the store for that very reason because he simply would not eat this. It sat in his bowl all day and, because he was starving, he would walk over, look at it and even sniff it. But, he would walk away. I think he would have starved himself to death before eating this.

And, to be honest, looking at the food, I can kind of understand why. I can't remember the exact flavor I was looking at but, mixed in the meat I could have sworn I saw green things that looked like peas. They probably weren't peas but they were definitely some sort of garden vegetable. I can't remember my cat ever eating a salad before so I really have to question the thought process behind putting garden greens in his food.

The food also smells terrible. Most canned food has a nasty odor to it; especially when you first open the can. But, this was bad enough to make you want to gag. I imagine that wasn't helping his appetite either.

Maybe there's a cat somewhere that might actually enjoy this variety of cat food. But, from my experience with it, I can honestly say I won't be buying this for my cat ever again.

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1209177/review_friskies_select_indoor_premium.html

No comments:

Post a Comment