Friday, January 16, 2009

New Meow Mix Market Select Cat Food Review: My Cat Purrs for This One

I'm the proud owner of 3 cats or should I say they own me?

All my adult life we have had a multi-cat household and most of that time my kitties would eat the same foods without any problems ....but, in the last 2 years that has changed since two of my cats have problems dealing with their urinary tracts and the possibility of kidney complications so they are on special diets, eating food that I have to buy from the Veterinarians office.

So that leaves my Misha, who is getting up in age and a very finicky eater...I've tried many foods on the market which she just turns her nose up at and walks away...

Then one day I received a coupon in the mail for a new food coming out on the market...It was just after that dreadful pet food recall so I was really on the lookout for something new and of course, safe for her to eat...after checking the recall list and not finding this one listed, I went right out to see if I could find this new food.

Meow Mix Market Select Cups had a big display in the pet food section of my local supermarket....I was surprised at the many varieties and the fact that this was wet food but not in a can...with my buy two get two free coupon I choose two flavors I thought she would like...Real Chicken and Liver in Gravy and Real Salmon with Crab Meat...She loves any food with gravy and though I don't like to feed her too much seafood I know she just loves Salmon....

This food comes in small 2.75 ounce round cups with a easy pull off lid, no messing around with can openers and those little finger pulls that sometimes come off before the can is fully opened leaving you with a half opened can that you have to some how figure out how to remove the food without cutting your fingers.

When opened there is no nasty smell and the food looks good, nice neat little morsels of meat, poultry or salmon with just the right amount of gravy, not too runny as some cat food gravy can be...

Taste test:

In just a few simple words, she just loves it! I've never seen her eat anything I've put down in front of her with such relish. She practically purrs while eating. She doesn't have a big appetite so she will eat half of a container at a time, usually in the morning around eleven and then the other half around 4 or 5...I cover the top with foil and it stays nice and fresh...

What I love about this product is that it doesn't contain meat or poultry by products. The main ingredients for the Chicken and Liver are; fish broth, Chicken, chicken liver, food starch modified, wheat gluten, (which I was concerned about), sugar, calcium sulfate, dried egg protein, natural flavor and then the usual vitamins and minerals.... (It's hard to read the bottom of this little cup, much less write them)....but no by-products listed on this or the other foods I have purchased. The wheat gluten concern seems to be over now I decided not to dwell on that...

Just the fact that they use real cuts of meat, poultry and fish makes my happy and it certainly makes Misha happy....my big problem is feeding her separately so that her other feline friends can't get into her dish, though I know they would love it too, they need to say on their special diets..

Only one other concern is that this Meow Mix Market Select is a bit pricy, at about 45 to 50 cents a cup, I had been used to paying about 30 cents for the other canned food she was eating but just to know she is getting the real protein which she needs is worth every cent. It might not be perfect but it does make her purr.

Guaranteed Analysis of the Chicken and liver is:

Crude Protein (Min) - 10.0%

Crude Fat (Min) - 1.8%

Crude Fiber (Max) - 1.5%

Moisture (Max) - 82.0%

Ash (Max) - 3.0%

Taurine (Min) - 0.05% 

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/418139/new_meow_mix_market_select_cat_food.html

No comments:

Post a Comment