Saturday, January 17, 2009

Pleasing Your Cat: Sheba is the Cat Food Felines Love

We have male cats that have been neutered. With the male neutered cat comes the problem of crystals forming in their bladders. Once those crystals form, they can get lodged in the urethra, blocking the urinary passage. When this happens, your cat is in deep trouble. We found the problem with the older male one Thanksgiving. I was making the obligatory dish to take to the family gathering when I heard the most awful meow. I ran downstairs thinking perhaps the cat had knocked something over on himself and was trapped. There he stood at the bottom of the step, so I went back up and continued.

Within the next half hour the meow came again. This time I found him in the littler box screaming in pain. Dang, Thanksgiving Day and something is wrong. I called the veterinarian and the answering service said the vet on duty would be contacting me. The wait was awful. Throughout the two hour wait he was screaming over and over. Finally after I called again, the vet responded. I had to take him into the office and the vet had to crush the crystal by inserting a needle into the penis. OW! He was now put on a special diet that was relatively free of ash, and flavor, from what I gathered by watching his excitement change to disappointment at meal time.

When we got the older cat a pet, our second kitty, we simply continued on the regime of dry, urinary tract prescription food. The second cat showed his disapproval by continuously trying to bury the food. We finally asked the vet if we could give them treats. She told us that one treat a day was about all that was allowed, so that the stones would not form.

That very day we began with a very thin sliver of moist, regular cat food at five o'clock for their treat. They looked forward to it, but the youngest still wasn't convinced that this was what he loved. I would have to coax him out of bed by singing the "Hungry Cat Song". I .think he only came to get me to shut up.

One day I tried Sheba, just because it was on sale. The first day the little cat cleaned his plate. The older one was always a member of the plate cleaner club, so there was no difference to see. By the end of the week, when five o'clock came, there sat the little cat, no more coaxing or singing. He truly loved Sheba The nice thing about the product is that there are a variety of flavors, and the cats love them all.

Sheba has been part of the household since that day. While occasionally I sing the "Hungry Cat Song" it is for my entertainment, as they are waiting for their Sheba.

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/413039/pleasing_your_cat_sheba_is_the_cat.html

No comments:

Post a Comment