Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fancy Feast Moist Cat Food: Product Revie

Many years ago, when I used to have a lot more cats, buying a canned moist pet food product such as Fancy Feast was way out of the question due to it's expense as it is one of the more expensive canned cat food products. During those years when I had so many more cats, I have to confess that I often resorted and bought the cheapest brands including the store label brand of cat food. To further stretch the cat food budget even more to make sure my cats were adequately fed, I resorted to cooking up a lot of their foods, and even made a cat's version of chicken soup, that had the chicken, broth, rice and mixed vegetables, and they loved it.

All that changed when three years ago when my cat population went down to only two cats, that is Pyewacket, my rather spoiled, attention getter black cat, and Kissy, a beautiful tiger-striped cat. With only two cats I decided to pamper them by getting Fancy Feast cat food, and to be honest, I think I made a big mistake. I say mistake, since now my two cats are highly addicted to the Fancy Feast brand, and will turn up their noses at any other moist canned cat food product, even the pricer Sheba Preminum Cat Food. Oh, and forget homemade foods for them. When there was that major pet food recall back in March of 2007, I decided to be on the safe side and I went back to cooking up their foods, even making that chicken soup for them again. Well, all I can say, is that I would give my two cats the homemade foods, in which they would politely sniff at it, look up at me, with an expression that I swear said, "You expect me to eat this?" and then walk away from the food. That is how much my two cats love Fancy Feast cat foods, they simply won't eat anything else now. Gee, do you think I've spoiled them?

One of the great things about the Fancy Feast Gourmet line of moist cat food is the sheer variety. There are over fifty, yes that's right fifty flavors of food and come in a great variety of types that include the Gourmet Entrées, Chunky, Grilled, Sliced, Marinated, Minced, Roasted and Flaked. I include a full listing of flavors here that can also be viewed at the Fancy Feast website itself, along with other products manufactured by the Fancy Feast line, including the Elegant Medleys, Fancy Feast For Kittens and Fancy Feast Dry Food. I've marked with an asterisk the flavors my two cats seem to like the most.

Gourmet Entrées:

*Chopped Grill Feast, *Gourmet Chicken Feast, *Gourmet Seafood Feast, *Savory Salmon Feast, *Cod, Sole & Shrimp Feast, *Gourmet Salmon & Shrimp Feast, *Ocean Whitefish & Tuna Feast, Tender Beef & Chicken Feast, Tender Beef & Liver Feast, Tender Liver & Chicken Feast, *Tender Beef Feast, *Turkey & Giblet Feast

Chunky Entrées:

* Chunky Chicken Feast, Chunky Turkey Feast, Chunky Chopped Grill Feast

Grilled Entrées:

*Grilled Beef Feast In Gravy, *Grilled Chicken Feast In Gravy, Grilled Ocean Whitefish & Tuna Feast In Gravy, Grilled Chicken & Beef Feast In Gravy, Grilled Liver & Chicken Feast In Gravy, Grilled Salmon & Shrimp Feast In Gravy, Grilled Salmon Feast In Gravy, Grilled Tender Beef & Liver Feast In Gravy, Grilled Turkey Feast In Gravy, Grilled Seafood Feast In Gravy, Grilled Tuna Feast In Gravy

Sliced Entrées:

*Sliced Beef & Giblets Feast In Gravy, Sliced Chicken Feast In Gravy, Sliced Ocean Fish Feast In Gravy, Sliced Turkey & Giblets Feast In Gravy, Sliced Beef Feast In Gravy, Sliced Chicken Hearts & Liver Feast In Gravy, Sliced Salmon & Chicken Feast In Gravy, Sliced Turkey Feast In Gravy

Marinated Entrées:

Marinated Morsels Beef Feast In Gravy, *Marinated Morsels Salmon Feast In Gravy, *Marinated Morsels Turkey Feast In Gravy, Marinated Morsels Chicken Feast In Gravy, Marinated Morsels Tuna Feast In Gravy

Minced Entrées:

Minced Beef Feast In Sauce, Minced Turkey Feast In Sauce

Roasted Entrées:

Roasted Beef Feast, Roasted Turkey Feast, Roasted Chicken Feast

Flaked Entrées:

Flaked Chicken & Tuna Feast, Flaked Ocean Fish Feast, Flaked Trout Feast, Flaked Tuna Feast, Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast, Flaked Salmon & Ocean Whitefish Feast, Flaked Tuna & Mackerel Feast

Now for the downside of Fancy Feast which is both the size of the can and the average price. Fancy Feast comes in very small 3-oz. cans as opposed to the normal sized 5.5-oz cans. With such small cans, if you have more than two cats you're going to have to be buying a lot more cans to equal the larger cans, about two of the Fancy Feast cans for every one of the larger cans. Then there is the price. The average price ranges from 79¢ to 99¢ a can in most supermarket,s however, one can usually get them cheaper, about $56 per can at a place such as Petsmart. If your supermarket or local pet food store carries the 24 pack it can save one a considerable amount of money as one can get a single flavor or Variety 24 Pack from $14.16 (Petland) to $18.96 (Ace Hardware), while once again it's the cheapest at Petsmart at only $13.29 per pack.

During my research into Fancy Feast pet food in general, I did come across one rather alarming fact. I don't know if this problem has since been rectified, but at this one website I came across the experience of one pet owner and a warning about the Fancy Feast Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast flavor and can be seen here. The author mentions how his cat began choking on this particular flavor, and upon examination, the pet owner noticed tiny fish bones, not enough to cause a human harm, but most certainly a cat. Now I've never gotten this particular flavor so have never experienced this problem, but I thought I'd let you know just to be aware of the possible problems this flavor of Fancy Feast may pose to your cat.

Just a quick mentioning of Fancy Feast's other line of moist canned cat food, that is the Elegant Medleys brand. Once again, there is a great variety, and the cans are the same size, that is 3-oz. and cost the same as the regular Fancy Feast Gourmet brand. I've gotten only a few of the flavors to try them out on my cats. The Elegant Medleys indeed look so good, that they look like food a human could eat, such as the White Meat Chicken and Egg Souffle with Garden Greens. However, for some reason, when I gave it to my cats they just plain didn't care for it. You might have better luck though with this cat food as I sure didn't.

All in all though, if you wish to pamper your cat with one of the best cat foods around I highly recommend the Fancy Feast brand label. As I've mentioned, my two cats refuse to eat anything else now, so it must be good. I include photos of my two cats so you can see how healthy looking they are from eating Fancy Feast.

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1638085/fancy_feast_moist_cat_food_product.html

No comments:

Post a Comment